Thursday 25 June 2015

Day 293.

Bush eggs: none. Nest box eggs: one – caused by surprise. Feed hopper: half full. Weather: a sunny day.

What a glorious day. I feel better than I have for weeks; I even laid a perfectly lovely – and shelled – egg in the nest as a surprise (to me and all!)

Maybe I’m not so much getting older as becoming more appreciative of the simple things in life – like eggs with shells, for example, or warm days with nothing to do but scratch.

The good thing for us chickens of senior rank is that The Female Person doesn’t seem to mind if we DON’T lay. I’ve heard of terrible places where unless you lay a certain (large!) number of eggs per year they murder you. It doesn’t bear thinking about. I mean we do our best but our egg production is what it is. Mine is/was pretty substantial but some of the ‘designer hens’ had a pathetic output as I mentioned. But I guess The Female Person thought they still brought something important to the flock – me, I couldn’t see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment