Thursday 18 June 2015

Day 286.

Bush eggs: one. Nest box eggs: one – caused by old age? Feed hopper: full. Old hen noises made by myself upon standing after laying: too many.

I hope no one has noticed but I have laid only three eggs in the past moon cycle. I know it’s probably just winter slowly settling on my bones but I feel so old all of a sudden. I guess if I were to fall off the perch tomorrow I could say I’ve had a good life – seven summers, one unforgettable life partner (Major, such a short and bitter-sweet romance), countless eggs and fourteen wonderful chicks.

I would have liked more chicks, of course, but The Female Person was disconcerted by the high percentage of roosters amongst my broods (twelve in total – all of them fabulous). As if I had any control over it!



No comments:

Post a Comment