Tuesday 9 December 2014

Day 95.

Jack looking smart. Or smug...? Photography by F L Campbell

Back to normal bush eggs: one. Nest box eggs: none. Feed hopper: pretty much empty. Secret Undercover nest detectors and all round smart roosters: one.

To be honest I’m not all that sad that the Secret Undercover nest didn’t work out. I’m obviously too old (my knees ached all night from sitting after only three hours yesterday). Steve’s just had her chicks so it’s a bit too soon for her, and Brian really does have her wings full with those Boys of hers. I know, I know, it was a truly feather-brained scheme, but it was fun for a while. Jack’s pretty good-natured about it too. He said he knew something was up the first night Brian didn’t return home, and then he secretly followed me to the nest yesterday. When we told him about the awesome acronym he came up with one of his own. Over much falling about laughing he finally managed to cough out: M.O.O.N – Most Often Obvious Nest. Whoa! He’s MUCH smarter than he looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment