Tuesday 21 October 2014

Day 46.

Ruby. Oil on canvas by Bev Taylor


Bush eggs: none. Nest box eggs: none. Feed hopper: full. Weird aspirations of small chicks: one.

To cheer up Steve’s lucky (hopefully) last chick I told it the story of when my portrait was painted. I had always known that the Female Person thought I was special and the portrait just confirmed it.

Anyway, one day the Female Person chased me with the camera – I was a bit reluctant to pose as I had just pigged out on pellets so my crop was huge and lopsided. I tried to give her my other side (which is my best anyway) but she kept on trying to position me so that the sun was in my eyes and then I would have to move or blink. She must have got what she wanted though because some time later she showed me this lovely painting of yours truly looking thoughtful and beautiful against a glowing background of golden straw. It was very nice, had great artistic merit and was apparently painted by this country’s premiere poultry painter (what a splendid and fulfilling subject to devote one’s life to). [From the Editor: This portrait is the background image used for this blog.]

Steve’s chick was suitably impressed with the story and seemed relaxed and happy afterwards. It even said something about wanting to be a painter when it grew up!

No comments:

Post a Comment