Friday 3 October 2014

Day 28.

Bush eggs: zero. Nest box eggs: none. Feed hopper: full.

Well, Jack said no chicks but he didn’t say no sitting! I love sitting. There is something wonderful about hunkering down in a private spot (preferably with a view) and just sitting. I actually don’t mind if there are no eggs – it’s a lot more comfortable to be honest. Sometimes I make a game of it: sort out where the nest will be in the days before, then slip off early in the morning and sit and wait. First Jack doesn’t notice my absence, then he notices and calls out (I keep quiet of course), then he starts searching (in all the most unlikely places, I might add), then he gets really worried, and that’s when I casually saunter out for a drink. It’s cruel, I know, but it pays to keep the upper wing even if he thinks he’s in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment