Monday 23 March 2015

Day 199.

Bush eggs: none. Nest box eggs: none. Feed hopper: three-quarters full. Stubborn hens: one.

I went to visit Brian on her nest today. She looks rather cozy and smug. I guess she deserves this after the incident with the orange monster and everything. I’m really rather jealous, of course. I haven’t felt the family urge for a while now and am facing the fact that I might have had my last beautiful, fluffy, cuddly chick. Still, at least I can help out with Steve and Brian’s chicks (not that Brian’s a first-time mother any more). These modern hens like a certain level of independence from their chicks, I’ve noticed, and that’s where Supergran Ruby can excel.

It’s possibly not a wise idea to be starting a family this late in the season but I’m best to let Brian come to her own conclusions, especially if I don’t want to be accused of a heinous crime like interfering.

But the seasons are turning and these are life-and-death decisions Brian is making. I’ve heard the people saying that the life of a chicken is an easy life, but that simply isn’t true.

No comments:

Post a Comment