Saturday 21 March 2015

Day 197.

Bush eggs: none. Nest box eggs: none. Feed hopper: full.

I just had a conversation that was a bit awkward and sad. Paula asked if it was morally right and proper for Jack to mate her, given that he was her father. I said that it was all right for practice but she should avoid at all costs starting a family with him. She asked why and I told her about Frauke and Frauke’s son (by Frauke’s father) and how he was extremely beautiful but died tragically young because he was made unfit in the head and body by overbreeding. Paula then asked if she should chase one of the Boys but I told her that brothers too would make bad fathers for her chicks. Now, as all the males of this flock are related to her, she’s worried that she will never be able to have a family – and she might be right. I don’t know what to say to make it better for her. I feel so helpless.

No comments:

Post a Comment