Saturday 2 May 2015

Day 239.

Dead Paula! Photography by F L Campbell

Bush eggs: none. Nest box eggs: none. Feed hopper: empty, empty, empty, but who cares!

Bad, tragic and sad day. Paula has died. We found her this morning down by the ducks’ feed hopper. There was no sign of a struggle but no obvious reason for her death either. When we asked the ducks about it they said they don’t know anything except that she was dead (stupid ducks). We left her in peace though I noticed the Boys hung around for a better look. I thought this was only natural and made no comment but then John stood on her! Then pecked her!! Then MOUNTED her!!! I’m flabbergasted; I don’t know what to think. It’s too shocking; I mean, she’s DEAD, and certainly not in a fit state for recreational sex!

Brian has been wandering around shaking her head. At first I thought she must have something in her eye and I went to help her, but Jack pointed out that it was probably shock and grief so I left her alone. Poor Brian, no one deserves this kind of tragedy.

As a truly surprising footnote to this already odd day, when she was being buried by The Female Person Paula talked! I kid you not, as she was placed/dropped in the hole (none too gently, since The Female Person still has that thing on her arm) Paula let out a loud “Berka!” as she hit the bottom! Odd. The Female Person and her helper had to give her a little poke and call out her name a couple of times just to make sure she wasn’t pretending to be dead. They were laughing so hard at one stage that The Female Person had to wipe tears from her eyes. I thought it was a little on the beak to be laughing at such a solemn occasion.


No comments:

Post a Comment