Saturday 13 September 2014

Day 8.

Bush eggs: one. Nest box eggs: none. Feed hopper: nearly empty. Free bugs: one.

Checked on Steve as usual but snuck back when she’d got off the nest for her big daily poo (interesting factoid: hens only ‘go’ once a day when they are sitting on a clutch of eggs and when they do ‘go’ it is quite the monster dump – sometimes almost as big as an egg!). Steve had started with eleven eggs (too many for a first-time mother if you ask me) but there were already broken shells and just eight eggs left. I don’t like to ask whether it is rats (yuck) or her own clumsiness. But never mind, eight is a fine number.

Paula (my dear sweet honorary granddaughter) scratched up a bug today, then she just gave it to me; I didn’t have to peck her or anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment