Monday 29 September 2014

Day 24.

Bush eggs: none. Nest box eggs: none. Feed hopper: empty.

Steve brought her bundles of joy out for a long play today and we were at last able to get a good look at them; two little mid-brown chicks, one with a bit of black running down its back, both alive, both healthy. Steve is looking very proud and relieved.

Everyone came to have a good look and talk to Steve for the first time in nearly a month (honestly, they pretty much ignored her when she was on the nest – even Brian, whom I would have expected better of, only checked on her twice) and they all admired the chicks.

Talking of Brian, she gave me a peck today. I couldn’t believe it! Now she knows and I know that I am top hen. Steve having chicks doesn’t change a thing, sister! I had to give her a doubly hard peck back to end that little debate on dominance.

No comments:

Post a Comment