Tuesday 4 August 2015

Day 333.

Bush eggs: one. Nest box eggs: none. Feed hopper: three-quarters full.

Ella came to discuss motherhood with me today because she wants to know whether to get an education or concentrate on having chicks; she feels you can’t really do justice to both, like some modern hens are trying to do.

I think she is right and that the Hens’ Liberation Movement has some serious drawbacks – not least the anxiety young hens feel when they realise that though they can have both a career and chicks they possibly can’t do either as well as they might if they were just doing one.

To choose is hard and it’s a real tough choice for some hens. Not really for me though – even with all my education I still really only wanted to be a mother. I will help Ella with her decision making as best I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment